Thursday, February 6, 2014

January Summary and February Plans

The first month of the year ended with 7 books, Jaya by Devdutt Pattnaik and Divergent by Veronica Roth being the top reads for the month.

This year, I am also trying to create monthly reading plans, how closely will I be able to follow them, only time will tell, but an effort, I am definitely going to make.

*Edited to add Book 7 in the proposed reading plan for February. I forgot I had signed up for an online group read of Anne of Green Gables before drawing up my February schedule. It would be a shame to drop one of the "chosen" ones, even the less deserving ones, and let my monthly schedule run awry in its very first month, I will try to somehow fit this one in as the 7th book for the month and hope for the best.*

So here are my reading plans for February:-

1. The Player of Games (Book 2 of the Culture Series) by Iain M. Banks
2. Die Trying (Book 2 of Jack Reacher Series) by Lee Child
3. Jeeves in the Offing by P. G. Wodehouse
4. Barrayar by Lois McMaster Bujold
5. The History of Love by Nicole Krauss
6. The Serpent's Tooth (Book 5 of the Empire of the Moghul Series) by Alex Rutherford
7. Anne of Green Gables by Lucy Maud Montgomery

January Reads:
1. Divergent by Veronica Roth (****)
2. Shards of Honour by Lois McMaster Bujold (**1/2)
3. Second Son by Lee Child (***)
4. Cry Wolf by Wilbur Smith (**1/2)
5. Jaya: An Illustrated Retelling of the Mahabharata by Devdutt Pattanaik (****)
6. Consider Phlebas by Iain M. Banks (***)
7. Killing Floor (***)

2 comments:

  1. I will be interested in your comments about Anne of Green Gables. It is one of my favourites but I also liked Rilla of Ingleside very much too. It was a more mature book and an interesting "look in" at a family and village during World War I.

    I haven't read any Wodehouse yet, but I'm planning to. So many books, so little time! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anne of Green Gables is another of those books which everyone seems to have read as a kid (sadly I didn't). I however gather that even if the work is classified under Children's literature,the quality of the read doesn't deteriorate with the age of reader, now looking forward to test the hypothesis :)

    Wodehouse is absolutely fantastic, though not all his works are good, I had the misfortune of reading an especially bad one last year, The Clicking of Cuthbert. The Jeeves books are generally a safe bet.

    ReplyDelete